Slow cooker poultry and rice is strictly as effortless and delicious since it sounds. You toss a few components into the sluggish cooker and get back to some comforting dinner. However the simple this recipe will be honestly 2nd to its deliciousness. The savory, homey casserole will be packed with sensitive pieces of poultry and creamy bites of nice vegetables, all confusing with smooth and cheesy rice.
The kid-friendly meal takes simply 20 moments to prep and utilizes pantry staples you’ve most likely already got readily available. Here’s steps to make the very best creamy, cheesy poultry and rice within the slow cooker.
A VINTAGE Casserole from your Slow Cooker
In the event that you didn’t mature with this particular comforting vintage, cheesy poultry and rice is really a mix of creamy rice, cheese, poultry, and veggies (occasionally broccoli, occasionally peas and carrots) that frequently utilizes canned soup like a base. This edition uses poultry broth rather and demands adding lotion cheese and shredded cheddar by the end of cooking food. The frozen veggies are also included by the end to make sure they’re sensitive and sweet rather than mushy.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into large pieces
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Coat the insert of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with cooking spray. Turn on to the HIGH setting. Add the rice, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, and salt and stir to combine. Add the chicken overtop in an even layer.
- Whisk together the broth and mustard in a liquid measuring cup until combined. Pour the broth mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH, without stirring, until the broth is absorbed, the rice is tender, and the chicken is cooked through, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Add the peas, carrots, and cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese is mostly melted and combined. Top with the cheddar, cover, and cook until the peas are heated through and the cheddar is melted, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve warm.
- Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days