This Cajun Shrimp and Crab Mac and Cheese is super creamy, cheesy and decadent. This delicious spin towards the classic dish will certainly be your brand-new favourite!
I made this mac and cheese for Christmas dinner this past year, also it was popular! The truth that my entire family enjoyed it had been this type of big deal, because black folks don’t play with regards to mac and cheese. Let’s be real.
Since it’s gotten a lot of positive reviews, it has now become my go-to macaroni recipe!
yield: 6-8 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 55 MINUTES
inactive time: half an hour
total time: one hour 45 MINUTES
CAJUN SHRIMP :
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined (if frozen, thawed)
- 2 tablespoons essential olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
MAC AND CHEESE :
- 3 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2Ibs Fresh Crab legs, cooked OR 2 and 1/2 cups imitation crab meat, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh or dried basil + more for topping
- 1 cup dairy
- 2 – 2 and 2/3 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 – 1 tsp Paprika, or even to taste (see notes)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper, or even to taste (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or even to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or even to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups colby & monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cajun seasoning, for topping
FOR THAT CAJUN SHRIMP :
Browse the notes before you begin the recipe.
Heat a big skillet over medium heat. Inside a medium bowl, add shrimp, essential olive oil, cajun seasoning, along with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to mix and coat the shrimp.
Once skillet is hot, add shrimp and cook, stirring constantly until shrimp is pink, 4-6 minutes. Reserve.
FOR THAT PASTA :
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Lightly butter a 9×13-inch baking dish and reserve.
- Bring a big pot of salted water to some boil over high temperature. Add macaroni and cook until al dente (take a look at package directions to observe how long it requires). Usually do not overcook.
- Drain well and transfer cooked pasta to a big bowl. Mix in Cajun shrimp, crab chunks and basil. Reserve.
FOR THAT CHEESE/MILK MIXTURE :
- In a big bowl, add milk and evaporated milk and whisk to mix. Add paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper and whisk to mix. Taste the milk and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Once you’re content with the taste, add the eggs and beat until mixture is combined.
- Reserve 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of colby & monterey, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan. Add the rest of the cheese towards the milk mixture and stir to mix.
ASSEMBLY FROM THE MAC AND CHEESE:
- Pour cheese mixture into macaroni and stir to mix. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with reserved cheeses. Sprinkle more basil, paprika, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning at the top (optional).
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until top is golden. Cover the very best with foil round the 35-40 minute mark, making certain it generally does not touch the cheese. Remove from oven and allow it sit for approximately 25-30 minutes to create before serving.