Stained glass cookies are VERY EASY to make therefore impressive to check out. I really like seeing light peek with the centers and yes, it is possible to decorate your tree using them! All you need to accomplish is cut your sugar cookies with a poor space inside, then crush your preferred hard candy and sprinkle it in the centre.
These stained glass cookies get together super fast and bring All of the holiday cheer! You should use any mix of cookie cutters to create them. You need to be do not make the edge too thin because they can be brittle.
Work with a skewer to poke a hole where you’d prefer to hang the cookie from and voila, your cookies are actually beautiful Christmas ornaments it is possible to hold on the tree. In the event that you make sure they are on Christmas eve you’ll have an excellent treat for that morning to greatly help tide you over during present opening!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 18 cookies
Author: John Kanell
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter 226g, room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour 480g, sifted
- 1/2 cup cornstarch 65g, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt 3g
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5mL
For the Window Pane:
- 1/3 cup Hard candies You can use any one you’d like.
- Preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch and salt into a large bowl and whisk together.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time then the vanilla while mixing on low.
- Scrape the bowl down and mix in the dry mixture.
- Separate dough into two disks. Wrap in plastic and chill for about an hour. I like to roll my dough out a bit between two sheets of plastic wrap at this point so there’s less rolling later on.
- Roll chilled dough to a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out a shape using a medium to large cookie cutter. Cut out the window shape on the inside using a smaller shape.
- Poke a small hole at the top of the cookie. This is for the ornament hook.
- Place cookies on a silpat lined baking sheet.
- Add hard candies to a ziplock bag. Choose a brand and flavor of hard candies that you enjoy.
- Crush up, then add to the inside of the cookies. Distribute evenly.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 375F then allow to cool on baking sheet.
- Add ornament hook if hanging.