easy Breakfast Casserole recipe is made with eggs, sausage, and cheese and only takes a few minutes to throw together. You can make it ahead of time, so it’s the perfect breakfast casserole for Christmas morning or any day
And, although I still really love the other recipe, this one is more of a traditional breakfast casserole, with tons of eggs, and it’s fantastic! Plus, you can still make it the night before so it’s perfect for holidays and special events where you don’t have a lot of time to prepare in the morning.
I adapted this recipe from my sister.I added a couple extra eggs, some milk, left out the mushrooms and cut the amount of bell peppers in half. The great thing about this recipe is how adaptable it is! It’s delicious with other types of cheese like pepperjack or Swiss, or you could try adding more veggies, like spinach or zucchini.
This easy Breakfast Casserole recipe is made with eggs, sausage, and cheese and only takes a few minutes to throw together. You can make ahead of time, so it’s the perfect breakfast casserole for Christmas morning or any day.
- 2 pounds pork sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (light or regular)
- 1/4 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 4 green onions
- 1/2 green bell pepper , diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper , diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13’’ pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the eggs, sour cream, milk, cheese and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix on low speed with electric mixers, just until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain most of the grease and add the sausage to the bowl with the egg mixture.
- Add the bell peppers and onion to the same skillet the sausage was cooked in and sauté for 2- 3 minutes. Add to the bowl with the eggs and stir everything to combine.
- Pour mixture into greased 9×13’’ pan and bake for 35-50 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is just barely jiggly.
- Leftover egg casserole can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed within 3-4 days. Leftovers are delicious reheated in the microwave.