I gave him a look of exhaustion as I walked into our tiny little bedroom. I proceeded to change out of my work clothes, into a pair of jeans and a snug t-shirt and replied:
“I had a really long day at work and the last thing I feel like doing is jumping back into the car, driving to a restaurant, and waiting an hour to eat dinner. I’d rather make something here.”
He glanced at me with a hesitant look as he answered, “Ok. Then we’ll eat dinner here. What do you feel like making?” I could sense his mind was preoccupied with something that was bugging him.
This casserole is the love child of lasagna and beef stroganoff. When you think about these two dishes together, it doesn’t add up. However, somehow in this recipe, they are perfect together.My mother found it while looking through a cookbook she purchased from a few fire fighters.
lasagna meets beef stroganoff in this recipe. Once you find out the history behind this dish, you’ll see that it really is Husband’s Delight Casserole.
- 1 pound hamburger meat
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 24 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce, any flavor
- 1 envelope of thick and zesty dry spaghetti sauce mix
- 12 ounce package of medium egg noodles, cooked
- 16 ounce carton of sour cream
- 8 ounce bag of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 8 ounce bag of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish. Brown your hamburger meat and add the 1 tsp. of garlic salt. Drain meat if needed once it is finished browning.
- Mix the jar of spaghetti and the envelope of dry spaghetti sauce with the browned hamburger meat.
- Take 1/8 of the cooked noodles and spread them onto the casserole dish.
- Spread about 1/3 of the meat mixture on top of the noodles.
- Spread about 1/3 of the sour cream on top of the meat.
- Sprinkle half of the Cheddar Cheese and half of the Mozzarella Cheese on top of the sour cream.
- Continue this layering process and end it with the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve.