Most everyone knows hummus. It’s the quintessential Middle Eastern dip made by blending chickpeas with tahini, garlic, and citrusI grew up on it, and I’m convinced that this simple beige dip is some of the best stuff on earth! Creamy, satisfying and packed with plant-based protein.
I love this recipe because it’s simple and uses just a few ingredients. But a few tips make all the difference in this hummus recipe, so be sure to read on.learn how to make hummus like a pro! I’m sharing my family’s easy hummus recipe and expert tips for authentic, smooth, ultra cream hummus.
How to make hummus the traditional way. No fuss. No extra flavors added. Just a plain, classic homemade hummus recipe. And a couple of tricks will ensure you achieve the best hummus ever–thick, smooth, rich, and ultra creamy.
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, peeled (from 1 to 1 ¼ cup dry chickpeas or from quality canned chickpeas. See recipe notes for more instructions on cooking and peeling chickpeas)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 ice cubes
- ⅓ cup (79 grams) tahini paste
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Hot water (if needed)
- Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Add chickpeas and minced garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Puree until a smooth, powder-like mixture forms.
- While processor is running, add ice cubes, tahini, salt, and lemon juice. Blend for about 4 minutes or so. Check, and if the consistency is too thick still, run processor and slowly add a little hot water. Blend until you reach desired silky smooth consistency.
- Spread in a serving bowl and add a generous drizzle of Early Harvest EVOO. Add a few chickpeas to the middle, if you like. Sprinkle sumac on top. Enjoy with warm pita wedges and your favorite veggies.