classic comfort food recipes are favorites on the sites including Slow Cooker Pot Roast, Ultimate Beef Stew and Slow Cooker Chili because they’re family favorites that bring back happy food memories and these sloppy joes are the perfect recipe for your favorite family meals.
ultimate Sloppy Joes made without the Manwich Canned Sauce or the packets of sloppy joe seasoning you may have grown up with. With just a few pantry ingredients you’ll have a whole new appreciation for classic American dinner favorite recipe sloppy joes.we call these the Ultimate Sloppy Joes, but you may also want to refer to them as Award Winning Sloppy Joes because this recipe has been victorious in three separate sandwich contests including one in college where it beat out over 50 other sloppy joe recipes.
plus it wins the most important contest of all, the kid contest. Kids love this recipe because it is the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors topped with cheese. In my ten years of working as a chef, I’ve not had a single kid refuse these sloppy joes.
Classic Sloppy Joes in just 20 minutes with a rich homemade tomato gravy, bell peppers and melted cheese on hamburger buns.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Note: click on times in the instructions to start a kitchen timer while cooking.
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet (this browns very well) on high heat and brown until a deep brown crust appears before breaking the beef apart.
- Stir the ground beef and brown until a deep crust appears on about 50 or so percent of the beef, and it is cooked through, then remove the beef, drain the fat and add the butter, onions and bell pepper to the pan.
- Let brown for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then let brown for another 1-2 minutes before stirring again and add the beef back into the pan.
- Add the garlic, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, to the pan and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated (about 75% of the mixture is above liquid), 3-5 minutes.
- Served on hamburger buns with cheese or mix the cheese into the sloppy joe meat mixture.