These burrito bowls are loaded with marinated grilled chicken, cilantro lime rice, black beans and a variety of fun toppings. This recipe will become a dinnertime staple at your house!
Burrito bowls are so versatile, I could make them every day and never get bored! Serve your burrito bowls with a topping of homemade pico de gallo and a Mexican caesar salad on the side.
It’s a new year, and like many other people, I’ve been busy working on ways for my family to lead a healthier lifestyle. We’ve been going for long walks on the weekends, eating more fresh fruits and veggies, and have been eating out less. When we eat at Mexican restaurants, my husband and I often order chicken burritos, but they’re often loaded with tons of cheese, hidden oils and those giant tortillas are chock full of calories. My homemade burrito bowls are a lighter version of the restaurant favorite. I’ve made some swap outs to make this recipe more wholesome and my family loves it just as much as the original!
For the chicken:
- 1 1/4 pounds NatureRaised Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder depending on the heat level of your chili powder. I use a mild chili powder so I do the full 2 tablespoons.
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice or quinoa
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- the juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15- ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- To prepare the marinade, pour the lime juice, olive oil and water into a large resealable bag. Add the garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder and chili powder.
- Seal bag and shake to combine. Add the chicken to the bag of marinade, seal and place in fridge – marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat a grill, grill pan or skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Chop the cooked chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Place the rice or quinoa in a large bowl; add the cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste; toss to coat the rice evenly.
- Divide the rice between 4 bowls. Arrange the chicken, beans, salsa, avocado, sour cream and lettuce on top of the rice. Serve immediately.
Calories: 684kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 55g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 585mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 3g