A cutting edge wind on the exemplary Waldorf Salad, these Chicken Waldorf Salad Bites are served on cuts of apple for that ideal gathering hors d’oeuvre!
I know, what amount more pompous would i be able to get? ‘Can’t a Waldorf Salad simply be a damn Waldorf Salad’ I hear you cry. Erm, no absolutely not when it looks so adorable plonked on top of apple cuts.
A Waldorf Salad was made in the popular Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. Customarily utilizing just celery, apple and mayonnaise, it’s currently evolved on to utilize fixings like pecans, grapes, chicken as well as greek yogurt. Furthermore, indeed, created similarly as being served on apple cuts 🤣
It’s likewise well known with respect to Fawlty Towers, yet I’ve never watched the scene and will not waffle on and imagine I have!
- 2 packed cups (approx 2 breasts) Shredded Chicken
- 2 large Apples (red, green or both)
- 2 ribs of Celery, finely diced (more or less to preference)
- 1 cup / 180g Seedless Red Grapes, quartered (more or less to preference)
- 2/3 cup / 80g Walnuts (more or less to preference)
- 1/2 cup / 115g Plain or Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup / 115g Mayo
- 1 Lemon
- good pinch of White Pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Cress to garnish
Extras ‘n’ Optionals
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- dash of Apple Cider Vinegar
- pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Lightly toast your walnuts in a dry frying pan over low-medium heat until fragrant and very slightly charred, shaking frequently. Grab a mug and gently crush the walnuts to desired size, remove from pan and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, combine your yogurt, mayo, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and add extras if desired.
- In a larger bowl, combine your chicken, celery, grapes, walnuts and sauce.
- Slice your apples into thin rounds, ignoring the core. You should get 10 rounds from each apple.
- Rub each side of the rounds with lemon juice, top with your Waldorf chicken then garnish with Cress.
- Substitutes for Chicken Waldorf Salad – For a healthier version feel free to use all yogurt. If you can’t get or don’t like walnuts then pecans work great. You can also trade out the grapes for dried fruits such as cranberries as well if you fancy!
- How to make Shredded Chicken for Chicken Waldorf Salad – If you aren’t using rotisserie chicken and only have raw breasts, have no fear. Here’s how I make my own juicy shredded chicken:Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.- Heat a little oil in a deep pan, fry each side of the chicken on high just to get some colour.- Pour in enough water (or chicken stock) to cover the chicken, place a lid on top and poach on a simmer until the centre is no longer pink. The chicken temp should reach 165f/74c on a thermometer. Depending on size this should take between 8-12 minutes.- Place in a bowl and with two forks, shred to desired texture.
- Calories – Based per apple slice, using full fat mayo.