Waffles of Insane Greatness are waffles that are made from a copycat of Aretha Frankenstein’s popular waffle mix. Try my Rainbow Waffles for another delicious (and colorful) waffle mix recipe!
If you have been to Chattanooga, Tennessee, you may have stopped by Aretha Frankenstein’s. It is a popular diner that is temporarily closed at the moment, but you can still enjoy their famous waffles! Folks rave! The waffles were nice and buttery.
The only hard part about this Waffles of Insane Greatness recipe is letting the batter rest for 30 minutes before making the waffles. But, the ingredients are standard ingredients that you probably have on hand. So, it’s easy to whip up the batter for a few waffles to start your day!
To make the batter, first, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Next, add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar, and vanilla. Mix the batter well and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- butter and syrup, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, oil, egg, sugar, and vanilla. Mix well and then pour into the dry mixture, stirring well to combine.
- Let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
- When ready, preheat the waffle iron. Pour batter onto heated waffle iron and heat according to machine directions. Waffles are done when they are crispy on the edges and golden brown.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve with butter and maple syrup.