Grab a fork, napkin and those tangy toppings, we’re getting sloppy y’all! Freezer friendly Tangy Lentil Sloppy Joes are tender, slightly spicy and oh SO crave-worthy. Serve these easy vegetarian sandwiches up with your favorite tater tots, fries or potato salad. This recipe is vegetarian, vegan + gluten free.
Do you recall? Water Net, parachute pants, monster Apple PCs, Guns N’ Roses, Van Halen and U2 on the boombox … yoyos (!!). I’m showing my age.Flashback to the 1980’s when Manwich was a weeknight staple. Mama would prepare messy joes in a matter of seconds and she generally served them with potato toddlers or potato plate of mixed greens. They were one of my #1 things. At that point, vegan messy joes were unbelievable in our family.
I didn’t have the foggiest idea what a lentil was once upon a time, not to mention be capable remember it in the event that it showed up on my messy joe. Never would I figured one day I’d be singing the gestures of recognition of these vegan messy joes!.Those days are a distant memory, and despite the fact that my adoration for 80’s music hasn’t changed a lot, my eating regimen has, just as my closet (hehe). Concerning messy Joes, surely, this veggie lover messy Joes variant wins.And truly, this simple vegetarian messy Joes formula is similarly as easy to make.
Grab a fork, napkin and those tangy toppings, we’re getting sloppy y’all! Freezer friendly Tangy Lentil Sloppy Joes are tender, slightly spicy and oh SO crave-worthy. Serve them up with your favorite tater tots, fries or potato salad. Vegan + Gluten Free.
- 1 C (215g) French Lentils *see note
- 4 C (815g) Water
- 1 tsp Sea Salt divided
- 1 Tbs Coconut or Olive Oil unrefined, virgin
- 2 C (245g) Yellow Onion diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 C (230g) Green Bell Pepper diced (about 1 large pepper)
- 2 Large Cloves of Garlic minced
- 2 1/2 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Smoky Paprika
- 3 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 C (426g) Tomato Sauce (1 Can)
- 1 Tbs Pickle Juice or other pickling brine like olive
- 2 tsp Vegan Worcestershire
- 3 Tbs Yellow Mustard
- 2-3 Tbs Maple Syrup or more to taste.
Serve with (Optional):
- Hamburger Buns
- Pickles, Tabasco, quick pickled onions, jalapeños, extra mustard, coleslaw.
- In a small sauce pot, add the lentils, water and 1/8 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then turn down to low. Cook for about 20-22 minutes, or until tender. Drain the lentils. Set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, add the oil to a large saute pan and heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook on low with 1/8 tsp salt for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bell pepper during the last 7-8 minutes of cooking the onions and soften, stirring occasionally.
- To the onion/pepper mixture add the garlic, chili powder, paprika and 3/4 tsp salt continuing to cook on low. Stir to coat the veggies. Add the tomato paste, sauce, pickle juice, Worcestershire, mustard and maple syrup. Stir to incorporate. Add the cooked lentils and stir again cooking on low for 5-10 minutes to warm through and to thicken a bit. Serve with warmed buns and condiments.
- Store the sloppy joes in a lidded container for up to three days or freeze for up to two weeks.
Look for organic French Lentils in the bulk bins. Bob’s Red Mill also carries packaged heritage French Lentils, although not organic.