Smoked salmon, scallions and dill fleck whipped cream cheese filling that is tucked into these mini diplomas. An appetizer must for your graduation party!
Today is the last day of school for my boys. It marks the end of homework, packed lunches and early morning wake-up calls for the next several weeks. It also marks the end of elementary school for my oldest son Jack. I’m still trying to figure out how that happened. Come September, I’ll be mom to a middle-schooler. Life will be all pre-teen angst and mom-you’re-so-emabarrassing-eye rolls. Somehow my sweet, little round-faced boy has been replaced by this mildly surly kid that has put the kibosh on any “mom contact” outside of our house. As middle school approaches, I expect my very presence will be enough to mortify him in front of his friends. But the truth is, I not only get it, I welcome it.
I remember a day when I was probably around Jack’s age when I began to strive for my own independence. I was walking down the street with my mom, when she reached out to hold my hand as she normally would. I took hold at first, then quickly dropped mine away. My mom looked crushed. And while my heart twisted when I saw that look on her face, I kept on walking, hands at my sides, trying to act like that grown up girl I so wanted to be.
It wasn’t that I didn’t want to hold her hand. Of course I did. It’s just that I wanted to be that girl that didn’t need to hold her mom’s hand just a little bit more. And now I see that transformation happening within my own son. He’s still a ball of love at home, but one foot out that door and his game face is on.
- 2 – 8 oz packages cream cheese softened
- 2 – 4 oz packages smoked salmon divided
- 3 scallions white and pale green parts chopped
- 2 Tbsp dill chopped
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish
- 3 tsp capers
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 english cucumber sliced into matchsticks
- 8 whole wheat wraps cut into squares and then cut into fourths
- Chives for ties
- In the bowl of a food processor combine cream cheese, one – 4 oz package of smoked salmon (chopped), scallions, dill, lemon zest and juice, horseradish, capers, salt and pepper and process until well combined.
- Thinly slice the remaining smoked salmon.
- Lay out a single chive horizontally and place a whole wheat square on top. Add one tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of the whole wheat square and top it with a couple of cucumber matchsticks and a piece of sliced salmon. Roll up and tie with chive. Trim the ends of the chive and serve.