To the Sausage Roll lovers among us – gather and listen closely. These Chorizo Sausage Rolls are about to change your life for the better. That is all.
When I tell you these are addictive I truly mean it. Even after testing and filming these bad boys, I could still go another round and come back for more. Crispy on the outside and juicy & bursting with flavour on the inside.
The chorizo makes a neat change from regular sausage rolls, it transforms them into a more ‘spicy’ sausage roll.
The base of these sausage rolls actually isn’t sausage meat or chorizo, it’s ground pork. Using all chorizo is way too overpowering, so a nice balance is needed. From various different tests I found the 3:2 / pork:chorizo ratio hits the sweet spot. With regards to using ground pork over sausage meat, I find sausage meats tend to differ so much in their taste. I simply like working with a blank canvas and adding my own flavours.
- 1.5 sheets of Pre-rolled Puff Pastry (see notes)
- 10.5oz / 300g Ground Pork (15%+ fat)
- 7oz / 200g Chorizo (see notes)
- 1/3 cup / 35g Dry Breadcrumbs, preferably Panko (see notes)
- 2 Eggs (1 beaten for egg wash)
- 1 medium Onion, very finely diced
- 1/2 medium Red Pepper, very finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds, crushed (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Olive Oil, for frying
- Fry your onion and pepper over medium heat until softened and just starting to catch colour. Add garlic and fry for a minute longer, then place in a bowl and leave to cool for a few minutes (important).
- In the same bowl, add pork, chorizo, fennel seeds, smoked paprika, breadcrumbs, 1 egg, salt and pepper. Gently combine, then place to one side. Try not to overwork the meat or the sausage rolls will come out tough and chewy.
- Unroll your pastry and cut into 4 equal sized rectangles (3 from 1 sheet and 1 from the other half, there will be a bit leftover). Evenly divide your meat across the rectangles and mould them into log shapes. Fold one side of the pastry over half of the meat, brush with egg wash and finish the roll so they end up seam-side down. Cut into 5 equal portions. See video for guidance on this.
- Spread out on an oiled oven tray (you might need two), brush with egg wash and bake at 356F/180C for 25mins or until deep golden. Enjoy!
- Pork – Firstly, make sure it’s ground pork, not sausage meat. Sausage meat is pre flavoured, here we’re flavouring our own way! Secondly don’t go for lean pork, you want it fairly fatty so the sausage rolls come out nice and juicy.
- What type of Chorizo to use? – If you can get your hands on ‘cooking chorizo’ that’ll work best, as it’s a lot softer than regular chorizo. If you can only find regular chorizo then make sure you peel off the skin and then finely shred it on a box grater (takes a bit of elbow grease). Either way make sure you don’t just puts clumps of chorizo into the meat mixture, it needs to be really crumbled/very finely diced.
- How to crush Fennel Seeds – Use a pestle and mortar OR place them in a zip lock bag and smash with a rolling pin OR drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on them (to stop them flying about the kitchen) and finely dice on a chopping board.
- Breadcrumbs – Panko work great because they’re very big and light, so lock in a good amount of moisture (i.e. juicer sausage rolls). If you’re using Panko, they’re a little lighter than regular dry breadcrumbs, so 35g(1.2oz) is just over 1/2 cup.
- Can I make these ahead of time? – You absolutely can yes. Just leave off the final egg wash and pop in the fridge (make sure they’re not touching/separated with paper) then brush and bake as per recipe.
- Puff Pastry Size – The size of 1 slice of pastry I use is 14″x9″ (35.5cmx22cm). The weight of each pastry sheet (before dividing) is 320g/11.3oz, so if you are buying puff pastry that is not pre rolled (i.e a slab of pastry) make sure you are using that much weight and roll out to the dimensions above. Just to confirm, it’s 1 and a half sheets of that size/weight you’ll need.
- The dip I use here is Sour Cream and Chive.
Chorizo Sausage Rolls
Amount Per Serving
Calories 196Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4.114g21%
Trans Fat 0.019g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.651g
Monounsaturated Fat 7.214g
Vitamin A 300IU6%
Vitamin C 5mg6%