Mother’s Best Creamy Cucumber Salad consolidates meagerly cut cucumbers and onions with a scrumptious smooth dressing. The ideal blend of crunchy, rich, sweet, and exquisite at the same time. This serving of mixed greens brings back such countless great recollections of youth!
Prepare for every one of the feels today with my Mom’s cucumber formula. On the off chance that you are new here, my mom died in April of this current year, and I composed a recognition in her honor. My mother is one reason I began this blog, and I’m sharing her plans in Norma Jean’s Kitchen.
Norma Jean had the greenest of thumbs. She adored tending both her lovely bloom nursery and vegetable nursery. Late spring was an outstanding season, and she shared her abundance of new nursery produce with her companions and neighbors. New lettuce, onions, radishes, beets, carrots, green beans, rhubarb, potatoes, cucumbers, and tomatoes GALORE! Father got something reasonable to say the least, and Mom ensured his lettuce and cucumber plates of mixed greens had an unnecessary measure of vinegar and onions, very much like he needed. 🙂 I can picture her currently, twisted around in the nursery getting each ready veggie, bringing them into her kitchen, and afterward doing something amazing. Gosh, what I would give for another impression.
- 5-6 medium cucumbers – peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion – you could also use white
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise – or Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup sugar – more or less to taste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar – can also use white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt – I use Kosher salt (add more or less to taste)
- black pepper – to taste
- Peel cucumbers, and slice thin. You can also use a mandolin to slice. Slice onion thinly as well. Combine cucumbers and red onion in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix up the dressing by combining the mayonnaise, sugar, apple cider vinegar, and salt. Pour over the cucumbers, and combine well.
- For best results, place cucumber salad in your refrigerator for a couple of hours to help meld the flavors together. Check flavors before serving.
- To serve, add black pepper and more salt if desired.
- You can store this creamy cucumber salad in the refrigerator, in an airtight container, for 2-3 days. I’ve found them to stay crunchy for several days.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 510mg | Potassium: 248mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 135IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 0.4mg