A custom made apple fresh French toast heat blended in with lumps of french toast and finished off with an oat disintegrate. Can be adjusted to be gluten and dairy free. Refined without sugar.
We love breakfast in our home. It’s one of the solitary dinners of the day where you can practically eat sweet and it’s socially adequate. Have a go at eating doughnuts or flapjacks consistently for supper and perceive the number of cocked eyebrows you get. In any case, breakfast? Eating sugar is essentially empowered. Presently don’t misunderstand me, we do appreciate a scrumptiously sweet breakfast once in a while, however we don’t eat it consistently.
Each on occasion I like to make a morning meal treat, one that I realize the children will get amped up for, yet at the same time made with entire food sources and regular fixings. This yummy creation is a merge of breakfast and treat—french toast meets apple fresh. It’s sodden lumps of bread and delicate cinnamon-y apples finished off with a firm oat and nut beating. There is something in particular about the warm flavors which make it an ideal fall-time breakfast, despite the fact that I dare say it would be tasty whenever of the year!
I start by cooking cut apples in a stove evidence skillet. This permits it to go from oven to stove without dirtying additional dishes, nonetheless, on the off chance that you don’t have a broiler confirmation skillet you can undoubtedly move the blend to a preparing dish for the stove part. I utilized a combination of occasion and granny smith apples. Celebration apples are sweet where granny smith are tart. It truly relies upon your taste. The celebration apples made the french toast adequately sweet to not actually need maple syrup. In case you’re a maple syrup showering fan, similar to me, you may incline toward pungency of the granny smith apples to adjust the pleasantness of the syrup, particularly in case you’re as of now utilizing a sweet bread.
- 1 tablespoon ghee/butter or coconut oil
- 3 apples peeled, cored, and sliced (I used gala and granny smith)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 cups of cubed bread (I used gf sliced bread, but challah, brioche, or hawaiian bread would be delicious too)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used gluten free all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (brown sugar will also work)
- 3 tablespoons grass-fed butter or coconut oil
to make apple filling
- In an oven proof skillet, melt ghee, butter, or coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add peeled, sliced apples and sauté for 4-5 minutes to tenderize. Mix in maple syrup, cinnamon & nutmeg, stirring to coat the apples evenly. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until apples are al dente (tender but have a firm bite.) They will continue to cook in the oven so you don’t want them to over cook or they could turn to mush. Remove from heat while you prepare the other ingredients. Preheat the oven to 375F.
to make french toast mixture
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with flour. Whisk in milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Set aside.
to make crumble topping
- In a small bowl, combine oats, nuts, and sugar. Using your fingers or a fork, cut in butter or coconut oil until the fat is fully distributed and mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
putting it together
- Add bread cubes into the skillet with the apples and gently combine the two together. If you don’t have an oven-proof skillet, transfer the apples into a greased baking dish before adding the bread. Pour in the egg mixture and press the bread cubes down into the egg to coat. Sprinkle the crumble topping all over the top of the bread and apples. Put the skillet into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until topping is golden-brown and french toast is firm to the touch. Coconut sugar can burn easily, so cover the top of the pan with a sheet of foil towards the end of baking if you notice this happening. When it has finished baking, remove the pan from the oven and cool slightly. Serve warm.