These Buckeye Brownies are amazing! Rich chocolate brownies topped with a homemade peanut butter filling and chocolate ganache.
It’s funny how you can view circumstances quite differently than other people. Or even different than you imagined.
It’s no secret that my son is off at Marine boot camp right now. We’re finishing up week four of him being gone! And surprisingly, I’m doing better than I imagined (I’m hoping he can say the same, haha)!!
This year I have spent a lot of time “reflecting.” Savoring those moments and memories that have brought my family to this point. This stage in life.
I thought sending my son off to boot camp would be unbearable. As much as people say it’s like sending them to college, having not sent one to college, I can only imagine it’s a little different. There is no way to talk to him. To visit him. To send him a quick text. It became apparent to me that life was going to be different when he handed me his cell phone and boarded the shuttle to the airport. My lifeline to him was in my hands. I had no way to keep in touch.
Even to the point of writing letters was out of my control. I couldn’t write until he wrote first. I had no address, no idea what platoon he would be assigned.
But this is where I realized, I’m stronger than I thought. It’s him, you guys. My son is the one who gives ME strength. My child who is living his dream. I’m reminded daily that THIS is the life he chose. He wasn’t drafted. He CHOSE this path for himself. He knew what to expect. And it’s that choice that has given me comfort for the past 3 1/2 weeks. My son is following the path he chose and he’s succeeding!
I know there are many moms out there who have kids in boot camp right now. I know there are many moms struggling and missing their kids. I know this because there are many facebook support groups for us moms. But, if your child signed up for this path, take comfort in that decision. This is what we want for our children. To make decisions as adults and succeed in those choices. That is where I draw my comfort from.
For the brownies:
- 1 box brownie mix, with ingredients according to package (13×9 size)
For the peanut butter filling:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cup powdered sugar
For the ganache:
- 1 package (10 oz) dark chocolate chips (bittersweet morsels, 60%)
- 6 Tbsp heavy cream
- Prepare brownies according to package directions for a 13×9. Make sure to line your baking dish with parchment paper.
- While brownies are baking, make peanut butter filling. In a mixing bowl, combined melted butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Beat until combined.
- Remove brownies from oven when done baking. Gently drop peanut butter filling onto top of warm brownies, using fingertips to make sure brownies are completely covered.
- For the ganache, in a small microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and heavy cream. Heat for one minute. Stir until smooth. Pour over peanut butter layer and spread until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate brownies for 2 hours (or more). Cut into bars while chilled. Serve and enjoy!!
Serving Size: 1 brownie
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 6g
Trans Fat: 0g
Unsaturated Fat: 8g