These baked cinnamon mini donuts are coated in cinnamon sugar and served alongside a rich chocolate sauce for dipping. YUM!
Are you ready for a kid-approved treat like these sweet baked cinnamon mini donuts with chocolate sauce?
Believe it or not, this is now my second post inspired by my kid’s Spanish class. Yep, anyone that claims that foreign language studies in school aren’t productive clearly isn’t reading this blog.
One of my very first blog posts included a recipe for carne asada tacos that I made for my son to share with his Spanish class for Hispanic Heritage month. Today I’m going straight for your sweet tooth with these mini cinnamon donuts inspired by churros y chocolate that he is bringing for a class party.
I first learned about churros from my seventh grade Spanish class. As a student I struggled with the Spanish subjunctive, when to use usted instead of tú, and how to roll my r’s, but one thing I learned pretty quickly was how delicious churros were, especially when dipped into chocolate.
To be fair, you can’t dip “usted” in cinnamon sugar and chocolate, so I really can’t call it a contest. But from that very first description to that very first bite, I was hooked.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 oz unsalted butter melted (1/2 stick)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 oz milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together on high speed with a mixer. Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then 1/2 of the milk, repeating until everything is incorporated. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fill a pastry bag with the donut batter and pipe into the the donut molds, filling each mold just shy of 2/3 full.
- Bake for 8-10 mins or until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter depending how many donut pans you have, spraying the donut pan before refilling.
Coat the donuts
- Combine the cinnamon and the sugar.
- Release the donuts onto a wire rack and using a pastry brush, brush each warm donut with a little butter then dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Chocolate Dipping Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients over low heat.
- Heat until chocolate is melted, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir until sauce is well blended and smooth.
- Serve donuts alongside chocolate sauce for dipping.
Special Equipment: mini donut pan
Recipe yields: 30 mini donuts
Serving Size: 3 mini donuts