This crispy Air Fryer Falafel recipe creates healthy falafel that’s lower in fat and perfect for a plant-based Mediterranean diet. It’s easy to make air-fried falafel and this post will show you how. See post tips for making vegan gluten-free falafel.
Serve these firm falafel with this delightful, sans dairy tahini sauce.Small town young lady goes the Mediterranean! You will have a hard time believing this, yet I’ve really been to Greece and Turkey. It was an astounding excursion, with a few days in Athens and a journey of a few of the islands, including Crete, Mykonos, Patmos, and Turkey.
Nonetheless, I’m humiliated to say that I was not an aficionado of the food. I was in my mid 20s and had gone through the majority of my time on earth in a little, provincial Missouri town. I wasn’t in the mood for testing and that left me with an extremely restricted sense of taste. So tragic!
I trust sometime to return and right that off-base. Meanwhile, I’m making my own home the wellspring of some extraordinary veggie lover Mediterranean food. Furthermore, we realize that the Mediterranean Diet is probably the best way of eating and it is basically a plant-based diet.You can track down the full printable formula, including fixing amounts, underneath. On the whole, here are a few clarifications of fixings and steps to assist you with making this formula wonderful each time.This formula makes 18 to 20 falafel with vegetarian velvety tahini sauce. The dietary investigation gauges around 46 calories for every falafel dunked in the tahini sauce. Every falafel has 6 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber, for a net carb absolute of 5 grams each. Not all that awful!
You can freeze falafel by placing them in a freezer-safe container or bag and placing them in the freezer. They will keep up to 3 months when properly stored in the freezer.o cook frozen falafel in an air fryer, spray the air fryer basket with vegetable spray and then preheat to 375°F. Place frozen falafel in the air fryer basket and cook for 5–7 minutes, until heated through. Remove the basket at least once during the cooking process and shake to turn the falafel.To make falafel oil-free, cook them in an air fryer and skip rolling the falafel balls in olive oil. That said, I would give them a quick spray with vegetable spray to help them not stick and to create a crispier crust.Make these crispy Vegan Falafel balls in an air fryer! It’s easy to do and you’ll love dipping them in some Vegan Tahini Sauce!
FOR THE FALAFEL
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 6 small cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup lightly packed parsley leaves
- ½ cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh dill leaves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup flour (either all-purpose flour or 1:1 gluten free flour)
FOR THE VEGAN YOGURT TAHINI SAUCE
- 1 cup vegan plain yogurt (not vanilla flavored)
- 1 tablespoons tahini (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Cook ModePrevent your screen from going dark
- Add chickpeas, onion, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, dill, flour, baking powder, cumin, and salt to a food processor. Pulse until a coarse crumb texture is formed. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Transfer the falafel mixture to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour (or up to 2 days before cooking).
- While the falafel mixture sets, prepare the vegan tahini sauce. Whisk together the vegan yogurt, tahini, and lemon juice until combined. Add salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until time to serve.
- Once the falafel mixture is chilled, use a spoon or cookie dough scooper to measure out 1 tablespoon of the dough. Form into balls. Place falafel balls on a plate. Repeat until all the batter has been used.
- Spray the air fryer basket with vegetable cooking spray. Preheat air fryer to 375°F.
- Use tongs to place raw falafel in the basket, arranging them on the bottom of the basket. Return basket to air fryer and cook for 15 minutes, removing the basket and using tongs to turn falafel once or twice during cooking time. Once done, remove falafel from the air fryer basket. Allow them to cool slightly.
- To serve, place falafel on a plate and serve with tahini sauce for dipping. Or add 3–4 falafel inside a halved, pita along with hummus, chopped romaine lettuce, and chopped onions. Drizzle with the tahini sauce.
Tahini is ground sesame seeds. If you don’t have this, you can substitute almond butter or Sun Butter (made from ground sunflower seeds).