This Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup is my all-time FAVORITE! It can be made in an Instant Pot pressure cooker, slow cooker, or on the stove, for an easy and crazy tasty soup everyone will love!
Pause! Back to the formula! It channels the kind of my go-to tortilla soup consummately, with the special reward of additional veggies, additional vegetables, and a twirl of smoothness that makes this simple, consistently supper soup feel like an extravagant guilty pleasure.
Concerning the extras, holy canoli! I’m cheerfully scarfing an extra bowl of this Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup while composing this, genuinely! The flavors blend and jingle and it’s downright magic.You ought to thoroughly anticipate catching a bowl to take to work/school the following day and another to match with a messy quesadilla for supper. You can even reserve a bowl or two in the cooler for warm and eat “cheap food” without the fight OR the problematic fixings.
This simple peasy formula yields 6 cups of flavor. That is sufficient for 6 side-dish estimated servings or 3 major dishes! Pair it with your number one Mexican fundamental (anything from tacos to enchiladas to burritos) or a new serving of mixed greens for a delightful supper that will not frustrate.
This uber easy and crazy flavorful Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup can be made in a pressure cooker, slow cooker, or on the stove, making it one of our favorite make-ahead soup recipes!Recipe yields approx, 6 cups of soup.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if needed)
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mild or medium salsa verde (or your favorite salsa!)
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 15 oz can black beans (drained + rinsed)
- 15 oz can pinto beans (drained + rinsed)
- 1 cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream* (optional – see notes)
- salt and pepper to taste
PILE ON THE TOPPINGS!
- crushed tortilla chips (my favorite!)
- shredded cheddar or mex-blend cheese
- sliced or diced jalapeños
- chopped red onion
- pico de gallo
- sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- Below are the electric pressure cooker and slow cooker instructions, see blog post below for directions to make this bad boy on the stove.
- First, chop your veggies and measure out the ingredients.
- Next add everything but the heavy cream your toppings.
- This includes bell pepper, jalapeño, corn, lentils, black beans, pinto beans, broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salsa verde, and all your herbs + spices. Toss them in and set IP to high pressure for 15 minutes. Walk away; FREEDOM!
- Allow natural pressure release.
- Stir in the cream, add all your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- First chop your veggies and measure out the ingredients. This will make everything super easy to toss together!
- Next add everything except the heavy cream and toppings.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours, until dried lentils are cooked through and veggies are tender. My soup was perfect after 5 hours on high.
- Swirl in the cream, add all your favorite toppings, and dive in!