This Lasagna Soup is crazy easy and made in one pot and done in 30 minutes! You can get all your favorite lasagna flavors in one amazing recipe.
This year has been the year of the soup here at iambaker. I have been trying and testing out new recipes and finding new family favorites that everyone (even my pickiest eater!) enjoys. This soup ranks right at the top! It is everything you love about lasagna… the meats, cheeses, Italian seasonings, and adorable curly noodles… packed into an easy one-pot meal.
This might be the most controversial part of this recipe… my choice for the noodles.
When I talked to my MIL about her famous lasagna soup she told me that she will only use the best quality lasagna noodles and that they need to be broken up into the soup. I tried that and found that while it tasted great, people didn’t immediately know it was a “lasagna” soup. The noodles flatten a bit and you don’t always see those adorable little frills on the sides.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon heaping Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 4 cups beef broth (can add up to 4 more cups if you want a runnier soup)
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 12 ounces Mafalda noodles, can use lasagna noodles broken
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup jack cheese blend, shredded
- parsley to garnish
- Heat dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add in oil and then chopped onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until partly translucent. Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in ground beef and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- (If necessary, drain)
- Pour in pasta sauce, 4 cups beef broth, crushed tomatoes, and stir to combine.
- Add in Mafalda noodles and allow soup to simmer for 8 minutes, or until noodles are al dente.
- Add in heavy cream and cheeses, stir until combined.
- Serve immediately.
- Save a little cheese for garnish if you would like! We have also added an Italian Cheese blend or fresh parmesan as a garnish.