Disregard what you thought you thought about pizza bagels and get ready to wildly slobber. These pizza bagels are an outright distinct advantage!
Bagel pizzas are totally already a thing, and I’ve been wanting to whip up a batch for a while now. But couldn’t quite justify adding to the hundreds or recipes there already are. As such, I’ve decided to put my twist on it.
Here I use the whole bagel as one. So you’ve got bagel (bottom layer) fillings (middle layer) then the top bagel with a crispy herb & parmesan crust (top layer). Essentially a face full of deliciousness, the way that pizzas and bagels should be.
- 4 Bagels, halved
- 1 cup / 100g Mozzarella, shredded (or as needed)
- 16 slices of Pepperoni
- 4 tbsp Pizza Sauce
- 4 tbsp Mixed Peppers, finely diced (or to preference)
- 4 heaped tsp Onion, finely diced (or to preference)
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted
- 2 tbsp Parmesan (see notes)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Pre heat oven to 180C/356F.
- Spread the bottom slice of your bagel with pizza sauce, followed by a sprinkle of mozzarella, then pepperoni, peppers and onion, and finish with the top slice of bagel.
- Brush the top of the bagel with melted butter, then sprinkle with parmesan and oregano.
- Pop bagels on a baking tray and place in the oven for 15mins, or until the parmesan goes golden crispy, the bagel is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Toppings/Fillings – Feel free to add any fillings you want! These are just what I like. In all cases I recommend you dice the fillings really small, just so they cook properly in short time they’re in the oven. Things like chicken, ground beef etc you’ll definitely want to pre cook.
- Parmesan – I recommend the dusty type of parmesan, just because it sticks the the butter easier.
- Make Ahead – You can prep these ahead of time, cover and store in the fridge until needed. Just leave off the butter/parmesan/oregano and do that just before you pop them in the oven.
- Calories – using plain medium sized bagels.