Alright, here they are, my Apple Shortcake Buttermilk Mini Muffins! I referenced them in the previous post for my Cinnamon Salted Caramel Sauce. These flavorful Apple Shortcake Buttermilk Mini Muffins are just addictive. I could, and I rehash could, keep on popping in a steady progression into my mouth, however will stop.
Delicate, feathery, sweet, rich, delightful, I could continue endlessly. Furthermore, with my Cinnamon Salted Caramel Sauce sprinkled on top… well it’s flawlessness.
I have been eating lots of these wonderful Honeycrisp Apples lately and when I went back for more the other day at Costco they were no where to be found!
So I went to my local market and they were out as well. The produce manager suggested the Pink Lady was a nice and suitable replacement and I found them to be delicious, but not as crisp. When I decided on making these muffins I thought shredded apples would be a nice twist and after allowing them to sit in a sieve and drain their wonderful juice, I would add them to my batter. Just a little something to add to the mix!
First things first so let’s make the batter. In your mixer beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until soft, fluffy and lighter in color. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until just mixed in. It will be a beautiful yellow and you’ll be tempted to stick your finger in for a taste.
Take the shredded apple you have placed over a sieve to drain and give the apples a good squeeze to remove the excess liquid. Add the shredded apples and mix in. Drink the apple juice, yummmm.
- Apple Batter
- 12 tbsp butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 honeycrisp or pink lady apple shredded
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 12 tbsp butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Cinnamon Salted Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a mini-muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In your mixer beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until soft, fluffy and lighter in color. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until just mixed in. Add the shredded apples and mix in.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir half of the dry ingredients into the batter.
- Then stir in a half of the buttermilk. Continue mixing in the remaining dry and wet ingredients alternately. Mix until well combined and batter is smooth.
- Fill muffin tins with 1.5 tablespoons of batter (about 3/4ths full). Bake at 350 for 14-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Don’t overbake!
- Over medium heat melt the butter until it starts to bubble and then foam. When it starts to foam, whisk until it turns brown and you see little brown flecks at the bottom of your pan. Immediately remove from heat and pour into a bowl for dipping. Let cool.
- Whisk together the sugar and cinnamon. When the muffins are just cool enough to handle, dip them on all sides into the melted butter then roll in the cinnamon sugar. Place on a rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with Cinnamon Salted Caramel Sauce and serve.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 212mg | Potassium: 93mg | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 390IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 0.9mg