Cheesy Pesto Party Bread is a huge crowd pleaser. This simple party appetizer is just a loaf of French or sourdough bread, filled with pesto sauce, two types of cheese, a big drizzle of olive oil, and freshly ground black pepper.
I’ve made this gathering bread a couple of times here at home, and it’s starting to be an issue. The issue being that it takes care of a group, at any rate it ought to. Bread is our shortcoming around here, so testing it out is both acceptable and terrible. I truly need to welcome peeps throughout next time I make it!
- 1 medium French bread or sourdough loaf – cut into a checkerboard
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce – my homemade versions are on this site
- 6 slices havarti cheese – or more
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese – or more
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil – drizzle on top
- freshly ground black pepper
- ** See blog post for step-by-step pictures and instructions!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Slice the bread into a checkerboard pattern, carefully to avoid cutting all the way through. Leave 1/4 of an inch on the bottom.
- Spoon pesto sauce in all the crevices, evenly distributing it.
- Using your fingers, place both kinds of cheese in the crevices as well.
- Drizzle loaf with olive oil, and top with freshly ground black pepper.
- Loosely cover the loaf with a sheet of tin foil. Try to keep the foil off of the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered, and then remove foil and bake another few minutes to slightly brown the top.
- Serve immediately!
- When cutting the bread in chunks, be careful to NOT cut all the way through the bread. You want it to stay in tact.
- Using homemade pesto sauce is best, but store bought is ok too.
- You can use a variety of different cheeses, according to whatever you like best.
- Using a foil tent during part of the baking time will ensure the cheese doesn’t burn. Just watch it carefully.
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 420mg | Potassium: 35mg | Vitamin A: 590IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 261mg | Iron: 0.5mg